Accessibility Guide for 2 The Stables, Overdene Chase Holiday Cottages, Ryde, Isle of Wight
Helen Wilks: email@example.com 01983 247 000 www.overdenechase.co.uk
Contact for accessibility enquiries: Helen Wilks
I want everyone who comes to stay in one of my cottages to have an enjoyable time and I am committed to helping my visitors achieve this. This guide is intended to provide you with sufficient information to reassure you the cottage is right for you.
All my cottages are non-smoking and non-vaping areas.
Overdene Chase Holiday Cottages
Ryde, Isle of Wight
Travel by public transport
Wightlink run a passenger ferry (journey time 20 mins) from Portsmouth to Ryde Pier Head. There is a train from the Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade from where you can get a taxi or catch a bus and ask for Upton Cross mini roundabout. Please seach on-line or enquire of Southern Vectis to check times and routes of service. Currently it is a number 37 bus.
Wightlink run a car ferry from Portsmouth to Fishbourne (journey time 45 mins)
Red Funnel run a car ferry to East Cowes (journey time 1 hour)
Red Funnel run a passenger only service using its fast catamaran Red Jet boats which come into West Cowes.
Wightlink run a car ferry to Yarmouth (journey time 30 mins)
• You can get to Overdene Chase by catching bus currently the number 37 from Ryde Esplanade. The service is infrequent.
• The nearest bus stop is at the top end of Upton Road close to Upton Cross. The bus stop is around ¼ mile from Overdene Chase.
Travel by taxi
• You can get a taxi from Ryde Esplanade Taxi Rank 01983 564634 • Ryde Taxis have a wheelchair accessible vehicle. ☎ 01983 811111
At a Glance
View from Gatehouse Road
On site parking with mix of surface concrete/shingle
Path to main entrance
• From Gatehouse Road the driveway leads to off road parking and there is level access.
• The path (paving slabs)leading from the Driveway to the Communal Courtyard is 900mm wide, or more.
• The main entrance door is off the Communal Courtyard.
• The path is sloped.
• The main entrance has level access.
• There is no step.
• The door is 800mm wide.
• The main door is side hung and manual.
From the driveway, enter gate marked 2. This leads to the cottage private patio and garden. It is then one step up to French doors into the living room
•Communal Courtyard – you are welcome to use this and there are no steps
• Private Patio – this is outdoor space for this cottage alone.
There is one step onto the patio and a ramp is available on request. The patio table has clear underspace of 680mm and chairs have a seat height of 450mm.
• Access to the lounge from the patio is via french doors which when both open are 1500mm wide.
• The lounge area is open plan with the kitchen. There is one sofa, seat 460mm from floor and an electric high back armchair, seat 540mm from floor.
Self catering kitchen
• We have an open plan kitchen.
• From the main entrance to the kitchen, there is level access.
• The route is 820mm wide, or more.
• The work surface is at a height of 940mm.
• The hob is available at a height of 940mm.
• The sink is at a height of 940mm.
• The oven height is between 100mm and 550mm.
• The table is pine colour and plates are white but can be changed for colored crockery for those with a visual impairment..
• The crockery is kept in eye level kitchen units but can be moved to base units on request.
• The bedroom has a double bed that can be spilt to form two 760mm (2’6’’) beds. Please state what arrangement you would like before you arrive.
• The bedroom has ceiling lights, bedside lamps and natural daylight.
• We have non-allergic bedding.
• The route to the bedroom is 850mm wide, or more. The bedroom door from the lounge is 850mm wide. When a double bed there is 500mm on left side and 900mm on the right. The bed is a divan and is 600mm high. The space under the bed is 40mm.
• The wetroom is en-suite and the door is 800mm wide.
• Access to the Wetroom is level. A shower chair is available. The shower has a hand hold.
• The door is 800mm wide.
• Toilet and basin are located within the Wetroom.
• The toilet has a handrail.
• There is 1000mm in front of the toilet. The toilet seat is 420mm high.
• The tap is lever operated. There is space under the basin, with no pedestal or boxing. The basin height is 800mm.
• The shower head can be lowered to 1500mm from the floor if required.
Layout – not to scale
Visual Impairment – General Information
• We have high colour contrast between doors and doorframes.
• We have local information in the cottage in larger print.
• Already in the cottage is a rise and recline armchair; I have various items of equipment available on a first come first served basis. These include a perching stool, 2 shower stools,
a Mowbray seat and a frame for the toilet with arm supports. We may be able to borrow other items from the Red Cross. Please ring me ahead of your visit to share your needs.
• We have an area to charge mobility scooters and battery powered wheelchairs. You may be able to hire mobility equipment from the Red Cross in Newport ☎ 01983 522718.
Customer care support
• Helen and Paul Wilks have disability awareness and safeguarding training.
• Visitor information is also available in Easy Read format.
• Guest information file gives details of local services.
Booking a cottage
e-mail Helen on firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01983 247000. If not answered leave a message.
Guide last updated: June 2020